Saturday, November 29, 2008

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm not sure how many of you have seen Sesame Street (the kids show). Well, cookie monster is a character on the show who is obsessed with cookies. Every time he sees a cookie, he becomes a little crazy and proceeds to devour it with such enthusiasm, it's hilarious! No idea what I'm talking about? To see Cookie Monster in action, click here.

So, what does Cookie Monster have to do with this post? Well, these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies could very easily turn you into a cookie monster who wants to devour them all in one sitting!!


I have a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe that I've used for years. I don't know about you, but I am a die hard fan of the soft and chewy type of chocolate chip cookie. Just the thought of them makes me drool!! One fine day (many years ago), I decided to see what would happen to my favorite cookie recipe by adding a bit of peanut butter. Well, after some experimentation, I think I got to the right level of peanutty goodness to compliment the chocolate chips. And, viola! A new cookie favorite was born!

The recipe I've used is based on a recipe from my Pillsbury Complete Book of Baking book.

Ingredients:

All purpose flour - 4 1/4 cups
Baking soda - 2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Butter - 1 1/2 cups, softened
Brown Sugar - 1 1/2 cups, firmly packed
White Sugar - 3/4 cup (increase to 1 cup for more sweet)
Vanilla Extract - 2 tsp
Eggs - 3
Peanut Butter - 1 cup (I used creamy)
Chocolate chips - 1 (12oz) bag of semisweet or bittersweet chips

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.

2. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the butter with both sugars until light and fluffy. It will look sort of like lemon colored whipped cream at this stage.

3. Add vanilla extract, eggs, and peanut butter. Blend well to combine.

4. Now, mix in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Once everything is well mixed, toss the chocolate chips in and stir to combine.

5. Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Note: I find this easiest to do with a tablespoon sized scoop.

6. Bake at 375 F for 8-10 minutes until barely light golden brown. They will feel soft and mushy if you try to touch them, but will firm up on cooling! If you continue to bake them until they appear firm, they will not be chewy after you've cooled them.

7. Cool on the pan for 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy with a glass of cold milk. :)


Seeing as how chocolate chip cookies are the quintessential American cookie, I'm sending these delectable morsels to Dhivi at Culinary Bazaar for AWED American. Hope all my friends in the US had a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

19 comments:

Lavanya Raj said...

Iam the cookie monster now..your cookie's are looking so soft and pefect. You innovate many recipe's..keep doing!

Cham said...

He he I used to watch the series with my son . Looks really good with cup of milk!
Gal It has been a year u started blogging Right? Happy Blog anniversary & wish many more years of Happy blogging!

Raks said...

Your display picture of the cookies looks so good Kalai:)

Finla said...

Oh yeah i too used to watch them years ago when my daughter was little.
I would lovz to have thes deliciouslooking cookies

Uma said...

mmm. lovely cookies! Can you hear me munching those yummy cookies so noisily like the cookie monster?

Usha said...

Wow those cookies look tempting :-)

anudivya said...

These are droolworthy cookies. Looks awesome.

kamala said...

Kalai could you pls post the choco chips cookies recipe..WIth peanut butter it comes out grt..I am trying lot of recipes..But nothing is satisfied my son.Yours have a exactly same look as store bought!!!

Nirmala said...

They look adorable. Haven't tasted cookies with peanut butter but u're ask me to give a try!

AnuSriram said...

I'm not a fan of peanut butter... But your cookies look tempting!

Anonymous said...

Wow Kalai...the cookies look perfect!

Srikitchen said...

it looks delicious and yum!
looks perfect!
join in the SWEET event going in my blog!

Archy said...

Cookies are so perfect kalai !! Yummy picture !! nice entry ..

Laavanya said...

Me like Cookie monster too :) I just love the way he speaks and his obsession with cookies. Infact when we took my daughter to Sesame Place theme park.. I was so interested in getting a snap with him (but eventually didn't since it was too crowded).

Cookies look awesome Kalai and good to see you back in action.

Daily Meals said...

Delicious cookies...

Bharathy said...

I have tried peanut butter cookies long back..Addition of chocolate chips along would be an awesome treat!..Unfortunately we dont get the choc chips here :(

Sharmi said...

hmmm yum looking cookies! lot of cookie baking going on in blogsphere:) You can send these to my event too!!

Sunshinemom said...

They look perfect!

Ann said...

Love the cookie... looks yumm