Friday, January 11, 2008

Egg Fry (Muttai Perattal)

So, the story here is that my mother could NEVER get me to eat any sort of egg curry/kuzhambu growing up. I had somehow managed to develop an aversion to it and would not eat it at our house or anyone else's house. However, the unthinkable has just happened... My hubby and I were at my SIL's house and she made this egg fry. Not only did I eat it (initially just to be polite), but I actually LIKED it! Needless to say, I had to get the recipe!

egg fry:)


So, here is the recipe with my minor modifications.

Ingredients:

Hard boiled eggs* - 4, peeled and cut in half
Onions - 1 medium, sliced finely
Garlic - 2 pods, chopped finely
Tomatoes - 1 medium, chopped
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp, or to taste
Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves - small handful

Method:

1. Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and curry leaves. Fry until onions turn golden brown.

2. Now, add the garlic. Fry for a few seconds and add the masala powders (coriander, turmeric, chilly, garam masala). Saute until the raw smell goes away.

3. At this stage, tomatoes are added and fried until they mush a bit. Add salt to taste.

4. Now, add the cut hard boiled eggs. Reduce the heat to low. Slowly and CAREFULLY, spoon the masala over the cut eggs. Continue to let simmer for 3-5 minutes to let the masala flavor penetrate the eggs.

5. Check for salt. Add more if needed. Also, you can add a few drops of lemon juice for additional flavor. Lastly, garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve with pulav rice, rotis.


*Note: I want to share the easy way to get perfect hard boiled eggs every time. Some people serve hard boiled eggs that have a nasty looking green ring around the yolk or the eggs are rubbery. Here's the foolproof method:

1. Put raw eggs in enough COLD water to cover the eggs. Starting them in cold water prevents the green ring around the yolk!

2. Bring the water to a boil. As soon as it boils, turn the heat OFF and cover the pan for 10 minutes. This prevents the white from becoming hard and rubbery.

3. Now, drain the hot water off and pour cold water over the eggs.

4. Let them rest for a few minutes to make peeling easier.

Voila! Easy, right? Enjoy! :)

I am about to go and have my egg fry with some carrot rice now! :)

1 comment:

Rina said...

Yes, Kalai....its so much similar to mine...except that u added garam masala too.