Monday, January 14, 2008

Vengayam Thuvaiyal (Onion Chutney)

So, what is a thuvaiyal and how does it differ from a chutney, you may ask. Well, from my understanding, a thuvaiyal is usually thicker than your typical chutney. Also, the main ingredient is often sauteed and then ground with tamarind and chillies. It's definitely a symphony for your taste buds!

As far as thuvaiyals go, this is definitely my current favorite! Amma has been making a version of this for a long time, but I learned a new version when I visited my cousin last summer. I have to say, that Akka's version is AMAZING!!!! I have been addicted ever since and this has become my go to thuvaiyal when I have no idea what type to make.

Ingredients:

Red onions - 2 medium, coarsely chopped
Garlic - 4 cloves, cut in half
Ginger - 1 tsp, coarsely chopped
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Red chillies - 8, or to taste
Tamarind - small lemon size
Salt, to taste
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp

For Seasoning:

Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Oil

Method:

1. Heat oil in a pan. When oil is hot, add red chillies and fry until well roasted. Remove from pan.

2. To the same pan, add mustard seeds and urad dal amounts listed in ingredients.

3. When they splutter, add the onions, garlic, ginger, curry leaves, and tamarind. Fry on relatively high heat until the edges of the onions brown slightly. Turn off the heat and cool the mixture.

4. Add salt and grind the cooled mixture somewhat coarsely in the blender or mixie without adding any water. The consistency should be fairly thick.

5. Do the seasoning and pour over the ground mixture.

6. Enjoy with idli, dosa, uthappam, etc. Tell me if you're hooked, too!

I'm so addicted that I'm sending this to Radhi who's hosting February's JFI - onion! For Sailu's version which differs slightly, click here .

No comments: