First of all, I have to say that I hope people had a chance to see the Superbowl last night. What a game!!! It was fantastic (for details, click here). To top it all off, our local Giants beat the pants off of the undefeated Patriots!! Victory tastes so sweet!!!!
But, I digress. I couldn't help myself! Coming to the point... I wanted to share this recipe for Teriyaki BAKED chicken wings that are so fantastic, it's unreal! We had a plate full of wings and the four of us had devoured them in no time. I saw the original recipe on food network a long time ago (click here), but made lots of changes.
I used chili-garlic sauce, but you could just as easily have used green chillies. You can basically tweak this around any way you choose. :)
My modified recipe:
Chicken wings - 18, separated into pieces (cut at wing joint to separate)
Salt and pepper to season wings
Green onions (scallions) - 3 stems, chopped for garnish
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp, chopped for garnish
For teriyaki basting sauce:
Soy sauce - 2 tbsp, or to taste
Orange juice - Juice of 1 medium orange
Hoisin sauce - 3 tbsp (Asian barbeque sauce available in Asian section of grocery stores)
Ketchup - 3 tbsp
Rice wine vinegar - 1/4 cup
Brown sugar - 2 tbsp
Chili-garlic sauce - 3 tbsp, or to taste
Garlic - 6 cloves, finely chopped
Ginger - 2 inch piece, finely chopped
1. Combine all sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes until thickened to a glaze consistency.
2. While the sauce is thickening, preheat oven to 400 F.
3. Sprinkle wings with salt and pepper. Keep in mind that there's soy sauce in the sauce to use later, so don't over-salt the wings!
4. Coat a sheet pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil lightly drizzled with oil. Spread wings out in a single layer. Bake for about 15 minutes.
5. Raise oven temperature to 450 F and bake for another 10 minutes, or until somewhat crisp and mostly cooked.
6. Now, take wings and coat with teriyaki sauce made in step 1. Bake at 450 F for another 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and garnish with green onions and coriander leaves. Use extra glaze as a dipping sauce. Enjoy with your beverage of choice!