Here are the rules for the Meme..
- Link to your tagger and post these rules.
- Share 5 facts about yourself.
- Tag 5 people at the end of your post and list their names (linking to them)
- Let them know they've been tagged by leaving a comment at their blogs.
1. I hate bananas. I don't mean dislike. I mean cannot stand them, do not get them within 10 feet of me, the very thought of them creeps me out kind of hatred. I have no idea how or why this happened, but it's a very deep hatred (emotional scarring??!!). It got to the point that one day I was sitting in the exam hall and one of my classmates brought a banana for breakfast, but I didn't know it. Suddenly, while writing the exam, I could smell the stench of banana... It was so bad, I had to leave the room for a few minutes!
2. I am, shall we say, "vertically challenged?" I'm talking short, people. Very short. I mean, I can't survive one day in the kitchen without my footstool!
3. I have a tendency to put everyone and everything else before myself. Not sure if that's just a female thing, but I've always been guilty of it!
4. I am a hopeless romantic! I'd always been one of those girls with fantasies of Prince Charming on a white horse. Well, my husband doesn't know how to ride a horse, but oh, well!
5. Dogs creep me out, too! I've always been a bit scared of them. I mean, it's fine if they're not within reach, but the minute they can touch me, I'm a little scared. My poor in-laws had to lock up their dogs when we were in India on our wedding trip!
I guess that's plenty for now, huh? Let me pass on the love, now. I'm going to tag Anu, Laavanya, Dhivya, Lavanya Raj, and Sagari.
Now, for a comforting, warm, spicy soup!
This aatu kaal soup is one that I made using bones (with little bits of meat attached) from a goat leg that I'd bought. I had a really bad sinus thing going on a couple of weeks ago and this soup was just what the doctor ordered! The idea is basically using the bones to create a quick mutton stock and seasoning it up with awesome spices to make a flavor combo that really rocks! Hope you guys like this one as much as I did. :)
Mutton bones - 2 lb, cleaned of excess fat
Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Tomato - 1 medium, chopped
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 3 tsp, or to taste
Dry fry and coarsely powder:
Whole black peppercorns - 2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Onion - 1/2 medium, chopped
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
Garlic - 3 cloves, crushed
1. In a pressure cooker, place the mutton bones, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilly powder, onion, tomato, salt, and about 3-4 cups of water. Use more water to make a thinner soup or slightly less for a thicker consistency.
2. Cook all of the above on low heat for 30-45 minutes. This is basically a mutton stock.
3. Once the pressure has subsided, open the cooker. Add the coarse powder (black pepper, jeera, and fennel) and allow to boil to the desired consistency. Now, reduce the heat to low.
4. In a separate pan, heat oil. When hot, add the fennel seeds and let brown and splutter. Then, add the seasoning ingredients and fry until the onions have softened. Pour this into the soup.
5. Once the whole thing comes to a boil, turn off. Enjoy by itself or with hot rice to make a quick and satisfying meal!
Aatu Kaal Soup for you!
Update: Also check out Shaheen's version here.